Monday, August 6, 2012

Pinterest Inspired Project!

I've been making an attempt to spend some decent time this summer doing some crafts, in between weekend plans and I've had a few photo shoots that have taken up time. 

When I do get to the crafting part, I tend to try too much at once, like last weekend's mug rug.  After a long week at work with unpacking the office and trying to get situated, I needed to keep it simple.  I also had realized it was going to be too hot to drag the sewing machine out and I really wanted to do something for my mother's birthday.  Pinterest to the rescue!  

I didn't desperately search Pinterest this time for this idea, but I had pinned it months ago.  Coasters made from tile, scrapbook paper and felt!

 
I bought white ceramic tiles at Home Depot, and cut out corresponding sizes of scrapbook paper.

This is taken from Instagram - sorry for the blur!

I painted the top of the tile with Mod Podge, and then placed the paper on top.


I painted a layer of Mod Podge, let dry for about 15 mins, then applied another layers, about five layers worth.  There were different variations on the top layer on every blog I read with this tutorial, but I did learn that Mod Podge takes about a full month to properly set, so hot drinks were out unless you put some tyoe of a sealant on top, and I had seen suggestions of polyurethane spray, or even clear spray paint - which is what I essentially purchased in clear acrylic sealer.


For the bottom felt, I used tacky glue and cut out felt to (mostly) fill the bottom. 
  I did this a bit fast and didn't really cut the felt pieces all the same size.  

Oops, this photo is upside down!
 Thats it!  Perfect gift idea that can be done in so many different ways!



4 comments:

Thanks for stopping by!